Saturday, August 16, 2008

Just when I thought I knew my daughter she went and did something so out of character I did not know how to react. So we went to her "new" preschool on Friday to meet her new teacher. She has always been excited about school and loves it, or so I thought. Friday did not go well. The whole time she was in my lap with her head buried into my shoulder. We all know this is not Adalyn. She is usually outgoing and loves kids her age. I am going to assume it was because it was so overwhelming with so many people. Or maybe because one of her best friends was not in her class. We were told he would be. Who knows but she almost had me in tears because her anxiety.
So Monday I will put on my happy face and drop her off in carpool line. Why not go in and drag this out? Because that would just be to calm my fears and make me feel better. We all know it is better to keep the goodbye short and with as little anxiety as possible. Would I love to keep her home with me? Sure. She could continue to entertain Burke and I for hours. However, that is not what is best for her. It is my job to give her the confidence that she CAN go somewhere without me and feel confident. What better gift could I give her. Self-esteem.
So Adalyn you will go to school on Monday and I know you will love it. It may just take some time to get used to the new surroundings. I know they will all love you.

On a more humourous note. This was overhead when Adalyn ran into her little friend.

Friend: "You still going to marry me."

Adalyn: "No"

Friend: "Ahhh man"
These kids will be married if I have anything to do with it. Forget love. Think about great inlaws.
Great people that your mom wouldn't mind spending the holidays with. Isn't that important?

No comments: